Julie believes that we have an ethical responsibility to protect animals from abuse and cruelty.
In Congress, Julie is committed to:
- Ban so-called "ag-gag" laws that prevent whistleblowing in situations where companies receiving Federal subsidies may be engaged in unethical or cruel mistreatment of livestock.
- Rolling back Trump-era laws loosening provisions in the Endangered Species Act by supporting H.R.4348 - the PAW and FIN Conservation Act of 2019.
- Preventing inhumane commercial breeding habits and ensuring that animals are not raised in neglected and inadequate shelters.
- Ensuring that the livestock we raise in Texas are treated humanely with minimum standards of care.
- Protecting animals from all forms of cruelty, suffering and abuse, whether in captivity or in the wild.
- Protecting endangered species from threats to their habitats.
- Supporting H.R.1776 - the Captive Primate Safety Act, in order to make sure primates aren’t isolated and can thrive in humane conditions with other members of their species.
- Banning the use of cruel traps through H.R.5127 - the Refuge From Cruel Trapping Act of 2019.
- Making horse slaughter (H.R.961 - Safeguard American Food Exports Act of 2019) and double-decker horse carriers (H.R.1400 - Horse Transportation Safety Act of 2019) illegal.
- Ban the use of animals in traveling shows, except in specific, humane circumstances, by passing H.R.2863 - Traveling Exotic Animal and Public Safety Protection Act.