Gun violence in America is a public health crisis.
This country's gun death rate is tragic and unique – 10 times higher than other high-income countries. It is an issue that affects every American community -- from rural suicides, to communities of color, to movie theaters, concerts, synagogues, churches, and Walmarts.
But Texas Republicans in Congress--obsessively focused on re-election, and susceptible to pressure from the gun lobby--have failed again and again to act on sensible gun safety reform.
You can count on Julie to take meaningful action to address the national public health emergency of gun violence more than any other candidate, because she is not afraid to stand up to the gun lobby. In fact, Julie doesn't take a single dime from any PAC.
We know that extensive background checks and Extreme Risk Protection Orders will make Texas safer, and that we can raise the standards of gun ownership in this country.
And Julie believes that the gun lobby must be held accountable for decades of illegal behavior and misguided policies intended to protect themselves while our communities are devastated and families torn apart.
This doesn't have to be our reality. There are concrete solutions to the public health crisis of gun violence in America. It is never too soon to call for them. The parents, students, survivors, and victims of Sandy Hook, Sutherland Springs, Las Vegas, Parkland, El Paso - and every victim of gun violence that is ravaging this country - deserve urgent action.
In Congress, Julie will support legislation to:
- 1. Require universal background checks and universal licensing requirements at all points of purchase, including the requirement that all gun show sales and all internet gun sales require a background check.
- 2. Create strong red flag laws and Extreme Risk Protection Orders to disarm abusers and those proven to be a harm to themselves or others.
- 3. Ban the civilian sale of assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and other weapons of war, designed to kill the most people, the most efficiently.
- 4.Ensure that the FBI and DOJ prioritize right wing and white supremacist violence.
- 5. Repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act for both gun manufacturers and gun retailers.
- 6. Initiate FEC and IRS investigations into the NRA's corruption.
- 7. End the corrupting influence of money in our elections.
- 8. Oppose concealed carry reciprocity.